2011 has been a hell of a year for games. Despite calls from some circles that gaming today is awful and in the decline, when I look around I see a lot of strong gaming titles out (and coming out) that I want to find time to play.
Hence: this list, to remind me at some point that I haven’t yet played these games. See, I suffer from a terrible malady called “situational amnesia” where I’ll know exactly what I should be doing, right up to the point where I’m in the situation to start the activity, then it’s a case of “… why am I here again?”.
In the case of video games, I know what games I want to play, right up to the point where I enter a gaming store. Then I completely forget the game I came into get, and end up standing awkwardly looking at the second hand copies Saints Row 2 on the shelf, wondering if I should at least get that so I don’t go home empty-handed.
So: the list, circa October 2011:
- Bayonetta and Alan Wake currently sit on the shelf. I finished Bayonetta on normal and am pondering going for the full 1000 achievement points… but that means not playing Alan Wake.
- Dark Souls
- Batman: Arkham City
- Dead Space 2
- The Witcher 2
- Deus Ex 3
- Gears of War 3 (for the sake of completeness, really)
- From Dust
- Shadows of the Damned
- Duke Nukem Forever (because sometimes you need to feel the hurt for yourself)
- L.A. Noire
- Portal 2
- Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood
- Psychonauts (because I’ve never played it but am intrigued)
- EDIT BECAUSE I REMEMBERED: Alice: Madness Returns
… and that’ll do. No MMOs because the only one I’m really interested in right now is The Secret World and lord knows what is happening there.